Sunday, January 24, 2010

Moscow 1950's


Last year purely by accident I stumbled upon a fantastic book by John Steinbeck called a Russian journal. I would imagine it is not his most widely known work though it is absolutely worth reading if you are interested in Russia or Soviet Union. Him and a brilliant photographer of that time Robert Capa were the first reporters to be allowed to come to the Soviet Union (1948) to document the life of Russian people. And so this book is a sort of their diary. Brilliant and funny for me it also contained very many little details from the past about things that are dear to me now. I was under the spell of this book for a long time.
I remembered about it today because I found these amazing photographs of Moscow in 1954. The author is a French photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson -the father of modern photojournalism. He published them later as "People of Moscow". I hope you would agree with me that the women of Moscow were stunningly beautiful! Well they still are:)

No comments:

Post a Comment