Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Zucchini muffins


This is very American to me and I loove it. It was in our local cafe where I have spotted a delicious looking slice once. I did not know what it was. It just spoke to me. I had to try it! And now I am forever hooked on zucchini bread. More then that: I have hooked my sister on it and my whole family. I am sure that every once in a while my mom still proudly shares the recipe with her new guest. But I have already modified mine from that I have found many years ago here. I use whole wheat pastry flour and reduced its amount to 2,5 cups ( the bread was somewhat dense for me). I reduced the amount of sugar to little over 1 cup. I like to take half oil and half yogurt for the fats and sometimes when I have it on hand I like to replace 1/4 of a cup of oil with almond or grape seed oil instead. Plus I use pumpkin mix to spice things up. Besides recently I have started to bake them as cupcakes for my son to take to school. I bake a batch and freeze them. Since he likes chocolate chips and blueberries I put either one to make him happier. And of course I skip on nuts because its for school.
So here is how I do it:
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of oil
1/2 cup of plain low fat yogurt
2 cups grated zucchini
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tbsp pumpkin spice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup of blueberries or chocolate chips.
Preheat the oven to 325F (165 C).
Beat the eggs until frothy. Add sugar, oil and yogurt. Mix in gently zucchini. In the different bowl combine all the rest of the ingredients. Now combine them all without over mixing.
Pour the content into 12 muffin cups. Bake for about 20-22 minutes. I use convectional oven so my results can be a bit sooner then with other ovens. Cool them completely.Cover each with foil , put in the Ziploc bag and freeze.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment