Thursday, February 25, 2010

Farmer cheese cake ( Zapekanka )

I should be writing about Russian blini's (pancakes) right now since Maslenitsa is being celebrated throughout Russia nowadays. I promise I will take a picture this week-end and I will post my recipe for blini. But for now I will try to tell you about beautiful and easy breakfast cake. It is not really a desert though it is sweet. It is traditionally served for breakfast or 'Poldnick'- Russian 4 o'clock tea.

The main ingredient here is tvorog- a fresh cheese. The closest match to it that I was able to find in America is a farmer cheese. (You can easily spot it in the cheese section of you supermarket). Oh how much I miss Russian tvorog form the Sunday farmer's market. You just sprinkle it with sugar and your best breakfast is ready. It is reach and tender. It has some hints of salt and that little sugar brings the flavor to the unbelievable heights. You've got to try it if you ever find yourself in Russia. The best part is that every woman that sells her cheese at the market will let you try her tvorog. And they all would taste different. So you just pick the one you liked the most. It cannot get any better then that!
So let me get back to the recipe. You will need:

1 package of Framer cheese ( 1lbs)
2 eggs
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbs semolina
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375F.
Beat the eggs and sugar together. Mix in gently all the other ingredients. Grease the 9" round baking dish and pour in the batter. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden.
Serve with fresh berries and sour cream
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment